Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Perfect Layering Layers - The Tunic Sweater

While I am trying to curb my spending, after-all, how many black tops, leggings, blouses, sweaters, tunics, etc., can one person have? While recently in Target today, I was looking for a lightweight sweater to pair with some leggings that I have also recently purchased. Seldom does it get super cold on the west coast where I have to break out turtlenecks, wool sweaters and down coats unlike the weather of the Midwest I grew up with. I was admiring Target's new fall looks and colors when I came across this tunic sweater.

Target, to me, goes through some growing spurts every now and then, bringing in boutique-style brands, biggger luxe brands like Neiman's, and hot, fresh designers like Philip Lim and Prabal Gurung. The latter I can't fit into so it's not that appealing to me. I find that Target usually hits the mark with one release of clothing each season, filled in by ridiculous pieces. For example, spring/summer will start to roll in and you will find some very cute skirts and dresses. But as the season drags on, Target seems to add some miscellaneous and downright ugly pieces. It happens at the start of every season from what I have observed. Target now is slowly releasing the fall/winter pieces. The looks are fresh as are the colors. I am surprised to see quite a few navy and maroon pieces along with hounds-tooth and graphic prints.

So while browsing, I came across this tunic sweater. I was actually looking for a grey sweater for this season to pair with some maroon and navy leggings (and also take on my trip). I found just the opposite. I found yet another black tunic sweater and a navy one, both the same style (hey remember in an earlier post about if I find something that I truly love, I actually buy more than one)? Well, I couldn't make up my mind and wanted to test drive them at home and pair them with the leggings I had in mind.

Image via Target.com



The tunics are awesome. They are lightweight which for me is great because I can't stand anything to hot and heavy. Plus, the extra bulk in a suitcase just wears me down. The tunic sweater is unique as it has a drop shoulder which gives it more of a relaxed and less structured look. It's a more finer gauge sweater perhaps similar to Nordstrom's Caslon brand and feels more expensive than its $22.99 price tag.








Image via Target.com
Image via H&M
For a 5'7" girl, it hits me just past the tush, perfect with leggings without putting all of my "goodies" out there. Plus, it kind of gives me another "uniform" for the week that's pulled together without looking like a slob. As posted in another blog entry, I will probably wear it with the Old Navy leggings and add a longer necklace or scarf. Ideally, I would pair the navy one with the darker grey leggings and this lighter grey leopard print scarf and navy flats. I'll try to piece it together and show you an actual picture of myself. The image here is pretty but it doesn't look as puffy in person. I can see putting a crisp, white collared shirt underneath with peek-a-boo cuffs or a stretch cami. Together I think this outfit would be around $35!

How would you style this?


*I do not receive compensation or items. The opinions are strictly mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment