Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Go Lightly

Every year it's the battle of the costumes. It's fine when they are babies and toddlers but as the Challenges grow up and make their own decisions, we sometimes become embroiled in a battle. They want to use their imagination, they want to grow and test the boundaries but yet they are still Little and Big Challenges and sometimes I need to step in. Little Challenge really wanted a costume with wings as her friend was going as a bat. THE most amazing bat costume you have seen. We tried looking for a homemade elegant owl costume but they were either to cartoonish or waaaay to expensive. I then suggested going as Holly Golightly aka Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

"Huh?" she said. I tried to explain to her what the movie was (my all time favorite) as well as who the movie star was, Audrey Hepburn (my all time favorite). Still, her response was, "Huh?". So we began to Google images of what I was trying to explain to her. She finally agreed but lamented that NO ONE is gonna know what it is.




For a few weeks I looked for the components for the costume. The dress from eBay, a wedding supply company, dollar store glasses and necklace, gloves and hat also from eBay. I might have spent $20 if that.

The night of Halloween, I dropped her off at a friend's house to trick or treat. As soon as the mom opened the door, she knew exactly what Little Challenge was dressed as. I could see a smile creeping out from behind the over-sized glasses. "See," I said. ALL the moms are gonna know who you are!" I think that made her feel a little better, a little more elegant, a little more confident.



Oh, and Big Challenge decided that he would go as Nerdy Skater Dude. Yea. Don't ask me. I have no idea either.

No comments:

Post a Comment